Your website is like an online storefront for your business. And just like a store in the real world, it’s important that you get enough customers visiting it in order to be successful. So what’s the best way you can drive these customers through the door? Read on for our top tips that will drive more traffic to your website.
Importance of driving traffic to your website
The more people that visit your site, the higher your chances are of growing your business. This is because you’ve increased your opportunities for generating qualified leads and building strong relationships with them.
Not only will you better your sales with more website traffic, but you can expand your products and services, increase their availability and help you develop your business in more than one location.
How to get more website traffic
1. Keyword research
Performing keyword research will help keep both users and search engines happy. It gives you an idea of what kind of content your users are looking for and makes it easier for them to find. This will drive more organic traffic from search engines to your website.
It’s important to start with asking questions about your target audience. You’ll know best how to help them by focusing on their needs, which will lead to a successful business. Think about the following :
- What terms are users searching for?
- What demographic is searching for these terms?
- When and how are they searching? Is it at a particular time of day? More likely to be from a mobile device or a desktop?
- Why are users searching for the information or type of product you want to provide?
Once you have defined these, you can implement them into your content to make sure it’s easier for users to find.
PPC is one of the quickest ways to drive traffic to your website. It’s an advert placed next to specific search results based on keywords. So PPC and keyword research work hand in hand.
Choosing the right keywords to bid on is essential. To do this, you need to think of why you want to use PPC, i.e. is there an action you want users to take? Like purchasing a product or downloading a document. Once the goal is clear, you can pick the right messaging that targets what your audience is searching for.
The great thing about PPC is that you only have to pay for the ad if a user clicks on it. It can give you a 200% Return of Investment (ROI). Focus on getting quality clicks rather than a high volume. This way, Google will give you a better score when calculating how and when to show your ad, as well as its cost. A higher score means a better performance in metrics.
3. Get social
Social media users are brand engaged. 54% of them use social media platforms to research a product before they make any purchases. Using social media to interact and engage with your customers will increase their trust in your brand.
To drive more traffic to your website from social media, it’s best to remember the following:
- Optimise your content for different platforms. For example, what and how you post on Facebook will be different to that on Twitter. Facebook may require longer posts accompanied by images or videos, and less frequently but Twitter would be shorter posts and more frequently.
- Post more than once about the same topic, but do frame it in different ways. You don’t want your users to feel like you’re spamming them, but you do want to keep reminding and encouraging them about your message.
- Your social feed is for your users, not for you. Think of what they want to see and share that.
4. Email newsletters
Email marketing is still one of the most effective strategies. It works well because consumers opt-in to receive them so you know they definitely want to hear from you. According to research done by Statista, 49% of consumers would prefer to receive promotional emails weekly.
To maximise traffic from emails, make sure to:
- Include relevant links to your website via images or text. Make sure that the content the user is directed to will help them make an informed decision on your products or services. This will give them more confidence to make a purchase.
- Use striking imagery. You have a very short period to catch a user’s attention, so you want to interest them as fast as possible.
- Offer promotions. Limited-time discounts and coupons can create a sense of urgency. This will encourage users to visit your website and can also increase e-commerce revenue.
Adding backlinks to your content is a sure way to rank higher in a Google search. The tech giant themselves have listed backlinks as one of the top 3 search ranking factors. In fact, Ahrefs found that 91% of all pages from a study they conducted never received any organic traffic from Google, mostly because they didn’t have backlinks.
Backlinking is when one website links to another website. But, just because you have a high number of backlinks doesn’t mean you instantly get better Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). The quality and relevance of the links are what’s important. To ensure that you get high-authority websites to link to your content, it needs to be:
- High-quality and readable
And when you’re linking to other websites, the same should apply. Ensure that your links are relevant and redirect the user to other quality content.
The bottom line
When used effectively, our 5 best methods will help you increase traffic to your website. Use them to create brand awareness and establish long-term relationships with your users so that they keep coming back for more.